Using a Barbecue or Chiminea Safely
These pieces of equipment burn very hot and can cause burns or start a fire. Please follow our advice to protect yourself and your loved ones.
- Use only firelighters or kindling to start the fire, never accelerants like petrol.
- Burn only kindling, coals or wood, never plastic or other waste items.
- If using a gas barbecue, make sure all its joints and connections are sound and in good working condition.
- Keep a ‘safe zone’ around the heated device where children and pets are not allowed.
- Never leave it unattended while lit.
- Supervise the area at all times, especially if children and animals are present.
- Do not consume excessive amounts of alcohol while in charge of a fire.
- Use the device only for its intended purpose and in accordance with its official instructions.
If You Have a Fire
If your barbecue or chiminea starts a fire, don’t try to extinguish it yourself. This is the point at which many people are injured.
Get out, stay out, and call us out by dialling 999.