Address: Newchurch Road, Bacup
Incident Number: 1904010278
UPDATE 21:52 Firefighters have ceased damping down at this incident. The area will be monitored overnight and crews will return in the morning to identify any further hotspots.
18:45 Ten fire engines including colleagues from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, along with specialist wildfire units and the air support unit are in attendance at a moorland fire on Newchurch Road, close to Lee Quarry, in Bacup. Approximately one mile of area is affected. The wildfire burn team is carrying out tactical burning assisted by firefighters using blowers and beaters to bring the fire under control.
Prevent wildfires during dry weather by following our advice:
- Don’t discard cigarettes or matches whilst walking or driving through the countryside
- Don’t have BBQs
- Don’t start campfires in the countryside
- Don’t discard rubbish – litter such as reflective cans and glass can start fires
- If you live close to woodland or heathland do not burn off garden rubbish during hot weather
- Report any evidence of illegal firesetting activity
What to do if you discover a fire
- If you need to move to a safe place and call the fire service on 999 immediately, provide as much detail as you can – size of fire, location and terrain
- Don’t tackle the fire
- If you haven’t already, self evacuate the area as soon as possible – these fires can spread fast
There’s more advice here.