Below are a list of guides on a variety of subjects for all employers, managers, occupiers and owners of premises.
They tell you about how you should comply with fire safety law, help you to carry out a fire risk assessment and identify the general fire precautions you need to have in place.
These guides are intended for premises where the main use of the building or part of the building is described. They may also be suitable for the individual units within other complexes, although consultation with the other managers will be necessary as part of an integrated risk assessment for the complex.
Also, where you handle and store flammable materials and substances, it will help you take account of these in your risk assessment and help you determine the necessary precautions to take to minimise the likelihood of them being involved in a fire.
They have been written to provide guidance for a responsible person: to help them to carry out a fire risk assessment in less complex offices and shops. If you read the guides and decide that you are unable to apply the guidance, then you should seek expert advice from a competent person. More complex premises will probably need to be assessed by a person who has comprehensive training or experience in fire risk assessment. However these guides can be used for multi-occupied buildings to address fire safety issues within their individual occupancies.
Coronavirus outbreak related guidance documents
- Fire safety advice for residential care providers and those managing ‘sleeping risk’ premises
- National Fire Chief’s Council Guidance on COVID19 and ‘waking watch’ premises
- Fire guide for purpose-built flats with consolidated advice note for purpose built flats
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations 2015
- Fire safety in specialised housing
- LACORS – Housing fire safety
- Residential care fire safety guide
- Personal emergency evacuation plans (PEEPS)
- Briefing note on emollients
- Additional guidance for application to HM Government Guide to Fire Safety Risk Assessment Residential Care Premises
- Health Technical Memorandum
Other buildings and premises
- Historic buildings
- Places of worship
- Licensed premises
- Offices and shops
- Factories and warehouses
- Sleeping accommodation
- Theatres and cinemas
- Healthcare premises
- Transport premises and facilities
- Animal premises and stables
- Timber frame constructions